Jul 17, 2009

Walter Cronkite has died.


His health went downhill rapidly as I stated in June. He was 92. As I said last month, he was a great journalist. He called it as he saw it and I still hear his voice at the end of each newscast..

And that's the way it is....

From the NYT today:
Mr. Cronkite anchored the “CBS Evening News” from 1962 to 1981, at a time when television became the dominant medium of the United States. He figuratively held the hand of the American public during the civil rights movement, the space race, the Vietnam war, and the impeachment of Richard Nixon. During his tenure, network newscasts were expanded to 30 minutes from 15.

“It is impossible to imagine CBS News, journalism or indeed America without Walter Cronkite,” Sean McManus, the president of CBS News, said in a statement. “More than just the best and most trusted anchor in history, he guided America through our crises, tragedies and also our victories and greatest moments. CBS has a great eulogy here.”


When the Chicago democratic convention turned to shit..he said so:
During the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, Cronkite was anchoring the CBS network coverage as violence and protests occurred outside the convention, as well as scuffles inside the convention hall. When Dan Rather was punched to the floor (on camera) by security personnel, Cronkite commented, "I think we've got a bunch of thugs here, Dan."
Yes they were thugs and yes Cronkite called it as he saw it. We have so few journalist's with his type of honor these days..its very sad. He told me about Kennedy's death and the death of Jack Ruby. He anchored the moonwalk for me as well as the civil rights movement. He was someone that told you the truth and I loved him for that. So few do it now these days with the birth of corporate media.

And it's sad that he has left this earth..Rest in Peace sweet man, I adored you and you educated me like very few others did. I doubt I will see someone that rival's you Mr. Cronkite. I am very sad today..but I hope you are talking up Edward R Murrow as I type this...


His editorial on the Tet Offensive can be watched here.

Today's Photo..er..Graphic..ok, Picture.

It's moving day!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have purchased a domain name. I have been meticulously working on a new site,Leftwing Nutjob. Please change your bookmarks people..this puppy will no longer be updated as of July 1st 2011.